“An often overlooked technology in Australia, condensing boilers are perhaps energy cost saving’s ‘best-kept secret’. “
Condensing boilers has recently entered the Australian Market. Even if conventional boiler technology is commonly used, it is unknown to many that condensing boiler technology is a better cost-saving greener technology option. Often, condensing boilers are 65% more efficient than the conventional boiler.
How does it work?
Condensing technology uses “latent” heat from the flue gases. This lowers the temperature of the flue, in turn, lowering emit gasses such as CO by 90% and NOx (acid rain) by 80%.
THEY ARE ONLY EFFICIENT WHEN FULLY CONDENSING
- Not true. Due to its larger heat exchanger, a condensing boiler does not have to condense in order to be more efficient.
THEY ARE LESS RELIABLE
- Not true. If the newer condensing boiler models are used. There were huge improvements made in the components of the condensing boilers to overcome the earlier drawbacks.
THEY ARE HARDER TO MAINTAIN
- Not true. You just have to ensure that the condensate drain is clear when servicing.
THEY CANNOT BE FITTED TO EXISTING SYSTEMS
- Not true. Condensing boilers are suitable for replacing most existing boilers. Just like any other boiler type, a hydraulic separator or heat the exchanger should also be replaced.
THE PLUME IS A NUISANCE
- Not true. If the boiler and flue are installed in the proper location, such as not too close to windows or doors, then there would not be an issue.
THE CONDENSATE IS A PROBLEM
- Not true. Only about a small amount per hour of condensate is produced. This disposable liquid would have the same acidity as tomato juice and it is directly drained to the sewers.